23 November 2006

Brrrr, it's freaking cold here.

It is really cold here now. I frequently see my breath in the middle of the day. It's been a long time since it was so cold that I could see my breath while the sun was still up. But the cold isn't that bad as long as it isn't rainy or windy, which it is about half the time.

I'd like to use visual aids at this point in my whinging. See, I took this picture out of my window in September, right when I got here. Oh look, isn't it nice?
Here is the same view a mere two months later. Unfortunately, this picture does not portray the corresponding drop in temperature. Whenever it rains a lot, the grass turns into a giant puddle, and I can see ducks bathing themselves in what used to be solid dirt. The best part has got to be the fact that the sun sets just after 4pm now. Yep. See, around daylight saving time the sun went from setting at 6 to 5pm and then it got noticeably earlier every day to the point where it is pretty well dark when I get out of my film class at 4pm. Apparently, it stays light as late as 11pm in the summer, which sounds great except then you realize that that means it gets ridiculously dark in winter. Boo. Oh well, when my radiator is on (which isn't as often as I'd like, for instance it is not on right now) I feel warm enough. If you'd like to get me a Christmas present, I have two words for you: warm socks. Just kidding of course, I'll make my parents buy some for me.

The other day, I was writing a letter to a friend (sorry if you haven't received a response from me by the way, and also for the lack of updates here - I was trying to concentrate on some work) and the street lamps outside my window came on at 3:50pm. That is crazy. Crazy.

No comments: