So, I'm coming home on Sunday, yay! I love being here and I'm going to miss everyone while I'm gone, but this is a small town and we tend to do pretty much the same things every week. Next semester I'm going to try to do a lot more travelling and stuff. Anyway, here are some random pictures I took over the past couple of weeks.
Here is Market St through the window of the local chippy, PM's of St Andrews. A chippy, as you may well guess, is a place to get fish and chips. Yum! Actually, the dining hall serves us fish and chips every friday for lunch, so we don't often eat it anywhere else (we should, though, because the dining hall is not very good). Anyway, I like to go to PM's because it's basically the only fast food place in town. It's my home away from home.
This is a car that is always parked in the Melville parking lot. When I sit at the high table in the dining hall, I can see it and it always makes me laugh. It's so ridiculous, it looks like a giant pink Easter egg.
Here is Market St through the window of the local chippy, PM's of St Andrews. A chippy, as you may well guess, is a place to get fish and chips. Yum! Actually, the dining hall serves us fish and chips every friday for lunch, so we don't often eat it anywhere else (we should, though, because the dining hall is not very good). Anyway, I like to go to PM's because it's basically the only fast food place in town. It's my home away from home.
This is a car that is always parked in the Melville parking lot. When I sit at the high table in the dining hall, I can see it and it always makes me laugh. It's so ridiculous, it looks like a giant pink Easter egg.
I joined the whisky society here at St Andrews (called the Quaich Society, since quaich is the gaelic word for whisky) and every two weeks there is a meeting where we taste about 6 different whiskies. [Sidenote: WhiskEy is Irish/English/Candian/American. Scotch whisky has no E!] Last week, the guest speaker was from a company called Compass Box, which makes various blended whiskies. This one was too hilarious (and its actually the least offensive peat whisky I've tasted so far), so I took the empty bottle home and took a picture of it.
And once more for those in the back:
St Andrews has all its Christmas lights up now, throughout Market St:
Here is one of the swans that lives in the lake outside my window. This day I just happened to look out the window and see that he was wandering around right outside my window. I've never seen him get that close to my window before! He was mean looking too, definitely looking for trouble. Cruisin' for a bruisin', if you know what I mean.
Swans aside, this past Sunday was the Christmas Ball and we tried to get tickets but they sold out much earlier than anyone predicted. Instead, we decided to get dressed up and go to the Old Course Hotel to have cocktails but we didn't do that either because our friend Jason threw a party. Next semester we are definitely going! Just for fun I looked online at how much it costs to rent a room at the Old Course Hotel and it turns out that their cheapest room is $500 a night. Yeah, the most expensive one is $3000. That's crazy! I saw the pictures though and it looks like it'd be worth it, if you could afford it.
St Andrews has all its Christmas lights up now, throughout Market St:
Here is one of the swans that lives in the lake outside my window. This day I just happened to look out the window and see that he was wandering around right outside my window. I've never seen him get that close to my window before! He was mean looking too, definitely looking for trouble. Cruisin' for a bruisin', if you know what I mean.
Swans aside, this past Sunday was the Christmas Ball and we tried to get tickets but they sold out much earlier than anyone predicted. Instead, we decided to get dressed up and go to the Old Course Hotel to have cocktails but we didn't do that either because our friend Jason threw a party. Next semester we are definitely going! Just for fun I looked online at how much it costs to rent a room at the Old Course Hotel and it turns out that their cheapest room is $500 a night. Yeah, the most expensive one is $3000. That's crazy! I saw the pictures though and it looks like it'd be worth it, if you could afford it.
On Sunday night, there was a carol service at the church on South St and we all went to that. I didn't even recognize half the carols. Of the ones I did recognize, 'Little Town of Bethlehem' had a completely different tune and 'Silent Night' had totally different lyrics. And 'Come All Ye Faithful' was sung in Latin. It was pretty crazy, but the church was beautiful.







1 comment:
It's neat!
.ardem
Post a Comment