27 November 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving, all my Americans! I wish I was with you today because I can't cook and it's making me sad! But I'm coming home in three and a half weeks, so someone had better make me a turkey!

Anyway, sorry I haven't updated for so long, but after my placement finished on the 14th, I came back to Glasgow only to suffer under the weight of my next essay, which nearly drove me mad ("Is text different when it's written on paper?" Well, DUH!). I did finally finish it though, and then it was on to the next project and so on. In the last 4 weeks of the course, there are 5 assignments due so things are going to be really hectic until I come home on Dec 21st.

I completely forgot to take pictures in Dundee! (Here is the website, they might have some pictures on there: Dundee Uni Archives ) The placement did turn out to be really cool though. I found a dead fly in the pages of an old ledger (I left it where it was, for the next person to find!) and there were lots of hilarious large old books in the archive, so that kept me very amused. The archive actually had a large collection of photographs by a man called Michael Peto, a Hungarian who hung around London in the 1960s taking pictures of famous people - including the Beatles! Here are some of his pictures: Peto Collection

This one is by far my favorite!

I don't think I need to explain why! :)

On Tuesday my class took a field trip to Edinburgh to visit the National Archives of Scotland, which was very interesting. I really enjoyed going to Edinburgh, especially since a bunch of us went out to a pub for dinner afterward. Although I do like living in Glasgow to a certain extent, it will never move me the way Edinburgh does. Glasgow is too Los Angeles for me (minus the vapidness). It's urban sprawl, and the centre city is just shopping and hipster nightclubs. Shopping keeps me contented for a while, but at some point I need something else too. Like a castle on a volcanic rock in the middle of the city. Seriously.

I am thinking about writing my dissertation on something to do with email, so one of my classmates suggested I open a GMail account. But in order for this to work, people need to email me there, so if you want, the email address is gwendolyn dot loomis at googlemail dot com.

I hope you all are having a delicious day and I can't wait to see you!

No comments: