20 September 2006

St. Andrews Freshers Week

I am here! I didn't have my arm torn off by my too-heavy suitcases! I actually managed to find the bus to St. Andrews! And, most importantly, I made it to my dorm. Speaking of dorms, mine sure is ugly. It is supposed to look like two passing warships for some reason. But it's comfortable on the inside. I'm in Andrew Melville Hall, he's a Scottish dude (natch) from the Reformation era. He was so into presbyterianism that he thought the Church should rule the State. He called James VI "God's sillie vassal" right to his face! That may not sound like much, but back then it was big time.

Here's my dorm:


This is the view outside my window. There is a lake and some swans out there on the left, but I don't think you can see them in this picture.


Ahh, now here you will see me in my red robe down on The Scores (the street closest to the beach/cliffs). I'm not sure what exactly the robe is for, people used to wear them all the time but so far I haven't heard of any occaison when we're actually supposed to wear them. I put it on my bed to keep me warm at night, and that seems to be good enough for now.

This is the movie theater. 3 screens. Only two showings (at 6:30 and 8:30pm) on weekdays, and another at 2:30pm on weekends. So far I haven't been - dinner is at 6 and I've been falling asleep at 8 - but I hope to visit it soon.


That's all for now. I'm going to try to take some more touristy pictures of the town and the castle ruins and stuff later.

No comments: