Mir Gehts Knut!
Knut is the name of the famous little polar bear baby that lives at the Berlin Zoo. The Germans are nuts for him, and apparently they also love puns. There were all these t-shirts for sale with that saying on them, which is a play on "Mir Gehts Gut" which means like "I'm doing good". So there you have it.
As you can probably tell from the pictures, we spent the entire first day at the zoo. The second day we did the walking tour recommended by Lonely Planet which was fun, except that we must have walked 15 miles around the city. Berliners are RUDE. Seriously. I thought the Parisians I met were all perfectly polite, but Berliners ... oh heck no.
Anyhoo, we had a good time and ate some awesome schnitzel. Mmmm. And I had a currywurst at the zoo which was super delicious. A sausage seasoned with curry? It's like the clouds parted and a light shone down from heaven onto my plate. Yes.
Here are some of Paul's pictures from the trip:
Did you ever want to see a Panda eat a pretzel? Now you have!
Here's Knut, the little rascal is taking a nap behind a rock
The subway trains were yellow. The subway was okay until the very moment the sun went down. At that split second, somehow the stations filled up with drunks mumbling and looking through trash cans for recyclables.
Old church, new church. Red church, blue church? Only in America.
Here is me at Los Angeles Platz. Berlin and LA are twin cities, even the zoos are twinned. In fact, at the zoo there is a cool a sign post with the distance in kilometres for every city that is twinned with Berlin.
Here is a close up of the double cobblestone lines that mark where the wall used to be.
And, best of all, there were California Sea Lions at the zoo! I said to them, Hey guys we've come a long way and we're doing alright. I also took a video of their rambunctiousness.
No comments:
Post a Comment