12 October 2006

I went walking on West Sands last wednesday...

St. Andrews is technically a beach town. Um, excpet that beach is on the North Sea. Still, it was a glorious day and I enjoyed walking the length of it. (I must've walked quite about 5 miles though, the whole trip took me 3 hours!) The beach is on the west of the town, thus is named West Sands (there is also an East Sands, but with the crappy weather this week, I haven't been out there yet). The beach itself points directly to the east. I liked to joke about seeing Norway just there on the horizon, but after consulting a map, I saw that it is Denmark, not Norway.
There it is, the North Sea.
Here is the town from the beach. That clock tower sticking up so high is near where my classes are. However, my dorm is way, way out to the right of this picture. Aah! I decided I had to stick a toe in the North Sea. Crazy. And I thought I wasn't going to need my flip flops. So silly.
Those are my footprints. There were lots of friendly doggies on the beach.
After walking a couple of miles, the beach curves around into the Eden Estuary, where the sand is much coarser. Instead of walking back the way I had come in, I hoped that I'd be able to walk up through the weeds and then across the countryside to my dorm.

However, when I popped my head up through the weeds, I discovered I was at the edge of a golf course! And here is a poor lost golf ball I found perched perfectly in a bush, in the weeds behind the course. Sorry the picture is so blurry!
More golf course
Here is the town on my way back.

And that concludes my dirty, sandy, wet, debris-filled tour of West Sands!

No comments: