A couple weeks ago, I went to Spain for the weekend to visit Emily. She's been doing a study abroad program in Madrid and, hey, why not go visit her! I had never been to Spain before and I was very excited, even though Madrid wasn't really on my list. I've heard amazing things about Barcelona, but didn't know much about Madrid. The trip turned out to be very interesting, even though (to paraphrase one of my favorite movies) Madrid is very beautiful but, in human terms, pretty cold. (Also in weather terms, it rained on Sunday!)
As the plane was descending over Madrid, I suddenly started having flashbacks of all the movies I'd seen that were set in Madrid! Apparently, I've actually seen kind of a lot. I didn't recognise anything from them though, because none of them were set in the center of the city.
Unfortunately, since I only had two and a half days in Madrid, I had to make some hard choices about what to see. So, I didn't actually go to the Prado or Reina Sofia museums. I have to leave something for next time, right?
Madrid is very beautiful, it has lovely little architectural flourishes everywhere. But the food is not awesome (seriously? salt-cured ham and manchego cheese is all you have?) and hardly anyone spoke English. The Metro is awesome though! So clean and convenient. (I am obsessed with subways.)
Okay, wait, I take it back about the food (only a little bit!) because I've just remembered that Emily and I had the best dinner ever: grilled ham and cheese sandwiches followed by churros con chocolate! Yummy. I will fully admit, though, that we cheated big time by eating Chinese food on Saturday and going to KFC on Sunday.
Anyhow, here are the pictures from the trip:
Estoy en Madrid!: Parte Uno
Estoy en Madrid!: Parte Dos
We had a very good time and I can't wait till Emily comes to Scotland this Saturday! And then on Tuesday, it will be off to Italy for us! Yay!
No comments:
Post a Comment